Tuesday, September 1, 2015

How to have a great day

Obviously there are always things that are beyond your control, but there are also things you can do to improve the odds that you will have an excellent day.  In order to increase the likelihood that I will have a productive and enjoyable day, I'm working on a wake-up routine, or sorts, that can help me stay focused on my long-term and short-term goals and increase the positive energy that exists around me.  When I say, "you" here, I mean me. 

  1. Review long-term objectives - Think about your goals and how you're working towards them.
  2. Search for opportunities - Spend time every day looking at, searching for and contemplating opportunities.  Too much is distracting, but it's a big world out there.
  3. Prioritize - Think about your previous day, how you spent your time, and how you plan to spend your time in the next day.  Where is your time going and how can you use more time towards your goals?
  4. Consider the people involved in your life - Think about how your actions effect them and think about how to benefit them in some way.
  5. Consider possibilities - For each activity, or event that you have planned, spend a little time contemplating it and looking for opportunities to increase value and benefit people.
  6. Find opportunities to generate momentum - Your goals are important.  Who are you going to benefit and how can you increase their opportunity to be benefited by your activities?
  7. Appreciate - No matter what is going on, there is always something to appreciate.  Finding that appreciation increases your ability to extract benefit from negative situations or occurrences.  Taking the time to find things to appreciate gives you power in many different ways. 

 Goals are good.  Having goals gives your life purpose.  My daughter is 5 years old, and I have a goal for her to be able to go to college.  She may decide not to, depending on her own goals for her life, but my goal is for that to be possible for her.  I have other goals, but that is one particular goal which is especially important to me.  I would be so happy to see her graduate from college with a plan for a career etc. 


To that end, we spend time talking about careers and what is involved with developing a career.  It's a lot for a 5 year old, but she's also an intelligent person and children are capable of understanding a lot more then many people give them credit for.  We read books, watch videos on youtube, etc.  Raising a child requires someone's attention.

red clover blossom

So, if you see a post here, and it's entitled "have a great day", there's a possibility that it's just a run through of those steps listed above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment